Monday, August 3, 2009

I have a dream

I have had big problems with hand quilting. I have read many guide books but I have'nt caught on the technique of it. I have dreamed that some day my stitches will be even and beautiful but at same time I have been almost sure that it never will happen. Because I can't learn it. But now my dream is stronger than ever! I do believe it can be true, some day.

Thanks to one wonderful people here in blogland! I asked help from Karen about hand quilting. Karen is a very talented quilter and I have frequently visited in her blog and admired her fabulous work. Karen sent me some tips and links to quilting videos which I watched through. And guess what happened when I took my quilt and tried to follow advice - my needle begun to rock for the first time!!! I don't know why I suddenly felt it easy ... THANK YOU KAREN, you are so lovely and helpful person. Now I have to practise 'needle rocking' in order to quicken my quilting. But because my fingers are now sore and my shoulders are aching - I have to contain myself a few days.












There has appeared some new stitcheries in A Gardener's Journal: 'Putting the seeds' and 'Smelling the roses'. Only three stitcheries to go before starting to build up the blocks.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments:

Päivi said...

Jakoon vaan Kirsi tikkaus videolinkit :) jollekulle muullekin voisi olla käytttöä ja lähde kans. Uusia blogilöytöjä on aina kiva selailla. Sori en jaksanut yrittää vääntää englentia.

Magritte said...

You are too hard on yourself! I like those works where you can see that it's handmade. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thank you Kirsi - I am so glad I was able to help you. I never had anyone to help me and it took a long time before I learned it well. There are so many help things out here in the internet world. I think in the google search engine I just put the words "how to hand quilt" and those videos and articles came up.
I get sore sometimes too from hand quilting and I have found that it helps if every 30 minutes or so you get up and stretch your arms and your back - even your fingers!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Dolores said...

Kirsi, hand quilting is like everything else - it takes practice. I don't think any of us found it easy when we first started. I never used a thimble before when I did hand stitching but I learned to get used to it and now I would not stitch without putting a thimble one first. Keep rocking!

Irma said...

Ompelutyösi ovat hienoja!
Day & Night-blokki on aika helppo tehdä. Uskon myös että suurena pintana voisi olla tosi kaunis kun löytää työhön hyvät värit:)